Thursday, November 6, 2008

Job Security

No, I'm not talking about my own job security. But I do want to talk about the security at my job. Just like any place in DC, you have the obligatory guards posted at every door to check your bag. When I first started at the Building Museum, I dutifully offered up my bag until I got an ID. I wore my ID diligently whenever I went to work, and then I got smart. They didn't really care/they recognized me. So, I stopped wearing it. I am not saying anything against our security guards, but they are a little lax. Sorry. (By the way, if you wonder why people do wear their IDs everywhere, that is one of the reasons...oh and people like to feel important here.)

Anyway, the time has come for our security to kick it into high gear. As you all know the G20 Economic Summit happens next week in Washington DC. (What? You didn't? Okay, I didn't either until this...) As it happens, the summit will be occurring at the Building Museum. Not too exciting really, except it means I do not have to work next Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. No one will be at work. Only the world's leaders trying to come up with an economic solution to the world. Good luck to them.

It has been so fun to watch the hundreds of black suited folks wandering all over the museum for the past few days. See, they are the real, top notch security. They have maps. They have very official badges. And they all wear black (or maybe some other dark color) suits/clothes. At one point this afternoon as I was helping clean up after a program, I was down on my hands and knees gathering up small washers from the maroon colored, flower patterned carpet. Surrounding me where all of these security folks. All very much engaged in serious conversations. I had to chuckle. This place often does make me laugh!

The National Building Museum (inside the Great Hall...it really is quite large and exterior...with the 5 million bricks it is made of!!)

3 comments:

A said...

Good luck to them indeed. You have probably seen this, but if you haven't, you may enjoy this guy's two cents on solving America's economic crisis. After a futile attempt at trying to find the original post, I am settling for a link to some random guy who posted it on his own blog.
http://www.flypaperblog.com/2008/09/26/forget-a-bailout-plan-give-the-money-to-the-people/

Tams Family said...

Thanks for the updates! I admit that I didn't know about the summit. Hope they figure something out. Sounds like you are in a fun place.

Ericka said...

That sounds so exciting to be working in a place like that everyday! Camden has recently fell in love with "night at the museum" Is he too young for that...oops.